Perth spearfisher killed by shark remembered as devoted father and ocean lover

The wife of Perth man Steven Mattaboni has described her husband as a devoted father and “one-of-a-kind gentleman” after he was killed in a shark attack off Rottnest Island.

The 38-year-old died on Saturday morning after he was attacked while spearfishing near Horseshoe Reef, about one kilometre off the coast of the island near Perth.

Mattaboni had been in the water with friends when he was bitten on both legs by what authorities believe was a great white shark.

Watch the video above.

Perth father-of-two Steven Mattaboni died in a shark attack while spearfishing near Rottnest Island on Saturday morning.
Steven Mattaboni, his wife, Shirene, 33, and their two children. (Supplied)

His mates witnessed the attack before pulling him onto their boat and racing him to the jetty at Geordie Bay, where paramedics worked for more than 30 minutes to save him.

Despite desperate efforts by friends and emergency crews, the father-of-two could not be revived.

READ MORE: Beaches remain open on Rottnest Island after man killed in shark attack

In an emotional statement, Mattaboni’s wife, Shirene, said her husband had an unmatched love for the ocean and his family.

“He was fiercely loyal, endlessly generous and the kind of man who would give you the shirt off his back,” she said.

Perth father-of-two Steven Mattaboni died in a shark attack while spearfishing near Rottnest Island on Saturday morning.
Rottnest Island beaches have remained open following the attack, which claimed the life of Steven Mattaboni. (Supplied)

“The world has lost a truly one-of-a-kind gentleman, and our daughters have lost an incredible father far too soon.”

Known to friends as “Mattas”, Mattaboni was an avid fisherman and experienced spearfisherman.

He leaves behind two young daughters, including a baby just four months old.

His wife also thanked emergency services and first responders who rushed to help after the attack.

A man in his 30s is in a critical condition after a suspected white shark attack on Rottnest Island near Perth. A St John WA ambulance spokesperson said emergency services were called to the scene off Geordie Bay at 10am (local time) today.A rescue helicopter, paramedics and police are at the scene.St John WA ambulance paramedics and police were called at about 10am. (9News)

WA Police Sergeant Michael Wear said on Saturday the incident had been traumatic for everyone involved.

“His friends have actually witnessed the horrific event,” he said.

“The victim was on the surface at the time, about 20 metres away from the vessel.”

Authorities confirmed Mattaboni suffered critical injuries to both lower legs during the attack.

Perth father-of-two Steven Mattaboni died in a shark attack while spearfishing near Rottnest Island on Saturday morning.
Despite CPR from his friends and emergency crews, he could not be saved. (Supplied)

Fisheries officers continued patrols around Rottnest Island on Sunday after a five-metre white shark was spotted about 80 metres offshore earlier in the day.

Despite the sighting, beaches on the island have remained open.

Shark expert Dr Daryl McPhee said the attack happened a considerable distance offshore and did not suggest an increased danger for beachgoers in shallow water.

“I don’t think there’s an elevated risk for anyone in the shallows.

“I’d be more concerned if the bite occurred right on the beach, but it’s a long way off shore,” he said.

Perth father-of-two Steven Mattaboni died in a shark attack while spearfishing near Rottnest Island on Saturday morning.
Mattaboni is survived by his wife, pictured, and two young children. (Supplied)
A man in his 30s is in a critical condition after a suspected white shark attack on Rottnest Island near Perth. A St John WA ambulance spokesperson said emergency services were called to the scene off Geordie Bay at 10am (local time) today.A rescue helicopter, paramedics and police are at the scene.His mates witnessed the attack before pulling him onto their boat and racing him to the jetty at Geordie Bay, where paramedics worked for more than 30 minutes to save him. (9News)

The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development is assisting local authorities following the fatal attack.

Australia recorded the highest number of fatal shark attacks in the world last year, according to figures released by the International Shark Attack File in February.
SOURE: https://www.9news.com.au/national/shark-attack-rottnest-island-perth-western-australia-steven-mattaboni/5a0a5e86-f5dd-4556-8115-8ed72ed0a0e2