Government ‘unaware’ of booked flights for ISIS brides returning home
The Australian government is unaware of plans for the remaining group of so-called ISIS brides to return home as reports emerge they are on their way to the airport.
Six women, their children and grandchildren have now left the Al Roj camp in Syria for Damascus, the ABC reported.
Nine.com.au understands the government is not aware of any group booking tickets or making plans to return home at this stage.
A group of so-called ISIS brides and their children. (9News)
Earlier this week, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese reiterated that the government was not providing any assistance to the cohort, and anyone suspected of breaking the law will face the full force of the law when reports emerged they would likely return home soon.
Social Services Minister Tanya Plibersek repeated that statement to the ABC this morning.
“I can tell you they will face the same consequences as their first group, which is if there are any crimes they are accused of, they will be taken into custody and treated with the full force of the law,” she said.
Opposition Leader Angus Taylor called on the government to do whatever it could to stop the group from entering Australia.
“The government should be doing everything in its power to prevent these people from coming because they turned their backs on our country to support a terrorist organisation,” he told reporters today
“One that has been guilty of extraordinary atrocities, including on Australians.”
Last month, four women and nine children boarded flights from Damascus to Sydney and Melbourne.
Three of the women – 53-year-old Kawsar Ahmad, her 31-year-old daughter Zeinab Ahmad, and 32-year-old Janai Safar – were arrested upon arrival and later charged.
Court sketches depicting Kawsar Ahmad (left) and Zeinab Ahmad (right) during their bail hearings. (AAP)
Janai Safar arriving at Mascot Police Station (A Current Affair)
The mother and daughter were charged with slavery-related offences, while Safar was charged with joining a terrorist organisation and travelling to a declared conflict zone.
All three currently remain in custody pending future court dates.
They are all part of the wider group of 34 Australians – 11 women and 23 children – who have spent the last seven years at the camp due to their alleged links to Islamic State fighters.
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke has only been able to legally ban one of the women from returning to Australia.
She is expected to remain behind in Syria. Her children will likely join the second group in returning to Australia.
A group of Australians travelled to Syria and Iraq to either join or support ISIS from 2012 to 2019.
The federal government has been making plans for their return since 2013.
A group of children of a convicted ISIS terrorist were repatriated to Australia in 2019 under the Morrison government and a second group of women and children were repatriated three years later under the Albanese government.
News
SIXTY SECONDS CHANGED EVERYTHING…: A school bus crash on Erskine Park Road sent emergency crews racing to the scene as chaos unfolded in seconds. But people are now focused on the final **60 seconds** before impact — and investigators are trying to piece together what happened just before everything suddenly changed…
Horror as packed school bus carrying 40 students crashes into a tree – 10 rushed to hospital while driver fights…
I’m having conflicting thoughts… 😳: Katie Price just shared the latest update on her missing husband, Lee Andrews, and everyone’s been circling around one thing — someone just checked in on the plane and the GPS location has messed up all the information
Katie Price has shared an update on the mystery of her husband Lee Andrews‘s active Facebook status. Earlier on Wednesday, former The…
THEY FOUND SHARKS AND HAD TO FLEE: The cave diver, who had spent countless years in the Maldives, had NEVER entered the third chamber where the 5 tourists DIED… and he described the horrors that group of tourists may have experienced there, possibly more than one shark appearing,…
I’ve been to the Maldives death caves countless times but NEVER into the third chamber where the tourists died… it…
HER’S CAR HAS BEEN FOUND… BUT RITA MARIE COLLIN IS NOTHING!: Police have launched a search for the missing woman, Rita Marie Collin, in the Central Coast region after concerns about her safety grew rapidly. But the detail that is attracting attention is a 7-second CCTV footage from a garage, where one detail is changing the entire case
‘She has vanished into thin air’: Bush tracker joins desperate search for suburban mum who disappeared on a walk two…
“HE THOUGHT HE WAS JUST GETTING THE ANSWER… THEN EVERYTHING CHANGED” 😳💔🏉 30-year-old Jai Arrow was still thinking about more games, more seasons and what came next — like every other football star his age. Then everything changed. Now fans are focused on the update that ended it all — because one medical decision suddenly meant the future he had been planning looked completely different…
Footy star Jai Arrow is forced to retire aged 30 after being diagnosed with deadly and incurable motor neurone disease…
“FANS IMMEDIATELY NOTICED SHE WAS MISSING…” 👀 As the ACM Awards brought out country music’s biggest names, viewers quickly realized Megan Moroney was nowhere to be seen. Now the real reason behind her absence is getting fans talking — especially after new details started surfacing. 👇 Her missing appearance has sparked a lot of questions
Country music singer and songwriter Megan Moroney has revealed the wholesome and heartfelt reason she was absent from the 61st Academy of…
End of content
No more pages to load




